Author: Alice Waters
A very tasty and striking salad – ALL WHITE!
2 small, fennel bulbs
3 large, white mushrooms
1/2 fresh lemon
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
4 tablespoons, il Fustino Ascolana EVOO
salt and pepper
- Wash and trim fennel bulbs – cut away feathery tops and root end. If you can only find large bulbs, remove the tough inner core on the root end. Save the fronds for decoration.
- Using a vegetable slicer or mandolin slicer, slice the fennel as thinly as possible and scatter over a plate or platter
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Shave mushrooms into paper thin slices and scatter over fennel
- Season with more salt and pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and the remaining olive oil
- With a cheese slicer or vegetable peeler, shave about 30 thin slivers of Parmesan on top of the fennel and mushrooms. Do not toss!
- Using a scissors, decorate with chopped fennel fronds
- Serve immediately.