Author: Laura S. Kirkley
This is our Super Bowl soup, we have been making it since 1985.
1 pound, italian sausage – skined and cut into 1-inch slices
1 tablespoon, il Fustino Tuscan Blend EVOO
1 large, yellow onion – diced
4 cloves, garlic – minced
1 14.5 oz. can, diced tomatoes
2 14 oz. cans, chicken broth
2 zucchini squash – sliced 1/4-inch thick
1/8 teaspoon, red pepper flakes
1 15 oz. can, northern white beans – with liquid
6 ounces, baby spinach
Parmesan cheese – grated
French baguette slices
- In large skillet or Dutch Oven, cook sausage until browned on all sides. Remove to colander to drain.
- In same skillet heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and brown, add garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook for one minute.
- Return sausage to skillet and add: tomatoes, chicken broth, zucchini, and northern white beans.
- Cover and simmer over very low heat for approximately 30 minutes to an hour.
- Just before serving add spinach and stir.
- Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve with toasted baguette slices
On a cold day (Super Bowl day actually) in New England, we made this soup. It is now a tradition. We always serve it on Super Bowl Sunday.