A classic Indian dish using whole spices
1 cup, Basmati rice – rinsed
2 cups, water
1 teaspoon, salt
2 teaspoons, il Fustino Mission Reserve EVOO
1 teaspoon, cumin seeds
2 cardamom pods – crushed
1 stick, cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon, turmeric
1/2 cup, frozen peas
- Wash rice in three changes of water. Add the measured water, salt and washed rice to a medium pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Place a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat for 15 minutes. Do not open the top during cooking time.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, which allows the innermost core of the rice to cook through.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet.
- Add the bay leaf, cardamom pods, cinnamon and cumin seeds.
- Allow mixture to sizzle for 45 seconds.
- Now add the turmeric and take off the heat.
- Add the cooked rice along with the peas and mix well.
- Serve hot.