Author: Revised by Chef James R. Kirkley, IV
1 cup, beef broth
4 tablespoons, il Fustino Arbequina EVOO
1 tablespoon, soy sauce
1 tablespoon, Worcestershire sauce
2 lemons – juiced
1/4 teaspoon, red pepper flakes
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
6 sprigs, fresh thyme
4 sprigs, fresh rosemary
1 bunch, scallions – cut 2″ lengths
1 1/2 pounds, beef tri-tip – trimmed of excess fat
1 pound, cremini mushrooms
2 red bell peppers – cut into large chunks
1 clove, fresh garlic – smashed
- In a small glass baking dish: whisk broth,2 tablespoons olive oil, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, juice of 1 lemon, red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Tear 4 sprigs thyme and 3 sprigs rosemary into pieces; add to the marinade along with the scallions. Let stand of 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, pierce the meat all over at 2-inch intervals. Add to the marinade, making sure it is completely submerged. (If necessary, weigh down the meat with a plate.) Cover and refrigerate 3 to 8 hours.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator about 1 hour before grilling (leave it in the marinade). Put the mushrooms and bell peppers in a large bowl. Tear the remaining 2 sprigs thyme and 1 sprig rosemary into pieces and add to the bowl along with the garlic, the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and juice of 1/2 lemon. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
- Preheat a grill to medium, then prepare for indirect heat: For gas, turn off the burners on one side. For charcoal, push the coals to one side. Remove the meat from the marinade and pat dry, reserving the marinade. Place the meat on the hotter side of the grill (direct heat) and cook, turning often, until charred, 15 to 20 minutes; scatter the herbs from the marinade on the meat as it cooks (its OK if the herbs fall through the grates; they will flavor the smoke). Move the meat to the cooler side of the grill (indirect heat); cover and cook, turning the basting a few times with the reserved marinade, until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 125 degrees for medium rare, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the mushrooms and peppers to the grill over direct heat; cook, turning a few times, brushing with the juice of the remaining 1/2 lemon and seasoning with salt, until charred and tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Arrange the scallions from the marinade on the grill and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side. Discard remaining marinade.
- Slice the steak against the grain and serve with the vegetables.