Author: Fukiko Miyazaki
Karaage is one of the most popular dishes in Japan. It is a common home-cooked meal, but also served in restaurants.
1 pound, boneless skinless chicken thighs – cut into 2″ pieces
1 tablespoon, fresh ginger – grated
1 clove, garlic – grated
1 tablespoon, toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons, soy sauce
1 tablespoon, sake
pinch, black pepper
pinch, granulated sugar
1/3 cup, cornstarch
2 cups, il Fustino Avocado Oil – for frying
lemon – optional
red chili pepper – optional
ponzu – for dipping optional
- Mix the ginger, garlic, sesame oil, soy sauce, sake, black pepper and sugar in a large bowl and whisk.
- Add the chicken, then stir well, Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour, over night is best for the most flavor.
- Pour two inches of avocado oil into small heavy bottomed pot and heat until oil reaches 360 degrees F.
- Prepare a rack for draining the fried chicken.
- Add corn starch to a small bowl. Remove chicken 2 or 3 pieces at a time and dredge in corn starch.
- Carefully and gently drop chicken into hot oil. Remove when chicken turns a golden color. About 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to the wire rack to drain.
- Serve with lemon wedges, or if you prefer serve with red chili pepper. You may want to dip chicken in ponzu sauce as well.
- Enjoy while hot!