1/2 pound, bacon – diced
1 tablespoon, butter or margarine
1/2 onion – finely chopped
1 cup, heavy cream
salt and pepper
3/4 cup, cheddar cheese (optional) – grated
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook bacon in small non-stick pan until lightly browned and crisp. Place bacon on paper towels to drain. If insufficient fat is left in pan, add butter. Add chopped onion and cook until just beginning to color. Remove to the paper towel to drain with the bacon.
- If using cheese grate the cheese.
- Beat the eggs, cream and seasonings together in a large bowl. Scatter the bacon and onions over the bottom of a shallow buttered ceramic dish and ladle the egg mixture on top. If using cheese add with the egg mixture.
- Bake in the top half of the oven for about 25 minutes, or until the egg mixture has puffed and browned and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly and then remove from the dish, or serve directly from the dish.
You may substitute, ham or shrimp for the bacon. Ham should be diced small. The shrimp should be shelled, deveined and if large, chopped to about 1/2 inch size pieces. The shrimp should be cooked briefly in a bit of oil or butter. Zucchini may be used in place of meat. It should be diced small or cut into thin 1 inch rounds. The zucchini should be browned in a teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan.