Author: Paulette Lambert
Serve with sliced strawberrys drizzled with il Fustino Aged Balsamic Vinegar.
FOR THE CAKE:
1 cup, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup, almond flour
1 1/2 teaspoons, baking powder
1 teaspoon, sea salt
3 large, eggs – beaten
3/4 cup, granulated sugar
1/2 cup, il Fustino Arbequina EVOO
1 tablespoon, il Fustino Arbequina EVOO
1/2 teaspoon, vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon, almond extract
1 lemon – zested
1/2 cup, orange juice
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE:
2 Tablespoons, no transfat margarine
1 cup, confectioner’s sugar
3 tablespoons, milk
1/4 teaspoon, fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup, sliced almonds – toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Mist with olive oil and flour a 9-inch round cake pan or spring form pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, almond flour, baking powder, and salt to thoroughly combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk the eggs, sugar, olive oil, vanilla and almond extracts, zest, and orange juice.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes, rotating the cake pan halfway through the cooking time to ensure even browning. The cake is done when it has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan, springs back lightly when touched, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for ten minutes then gently remove from pan. Allow to cool completely on a rack.
- To make the glaze, in a small saucepan, melt and lightly brown the margarine over medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, add the confectioners sugar and milk. Whisk until completely smooth. Slowly whisk in the margarine. Add the lemon juice. Spread the glaze onto the top and sides of the cake, sprinkle with almonds.