Author: Chef James R. Kirkley, IV
Large shrimp make this a knife-and-fork stew. I spread a garlicky French rouille on toasts for dipping in the stew.
2 cloves, garlic – minced
1/2 cup, mayonnaise
1 teaspoon, fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon, paprika
pinch, cayenne pepper
3 tablespoons, il Fustino EVOO
1 medium, fennel bulb – cored and finely chopped
1 medium, yellow onion – finely chopped
4 cloves, garlic – minced
3 strips, orange zest – 1-inch each
pinch, ground clove
1/2 cup, dry white wine
1 cup, bottled clam juice
1 cup, canned whole tomatoes – chopped
1/4 teaspoon, saffron threads – crumbled
freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds, jumbo shrimp – peeled and deveined
Toasted baguettes, for serving
- In a bowl, mash the garlic with a pinch of salt. Whisk in the mayonnaise, lemon juice, paprika and cayenne. Whisk in 1 tablespoon of the EVOO. Set the rouille aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO until shimmering. Add the fennel and onion and cook over medium-high heat, stirring until softened, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, orange zest, and ground cloves and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and cook until nearly evaporated, 5 minutes.
- Add clam juice, tomatoes, saffron and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Season with and pepper and simmer until the sauce is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet, cover and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until cooked, 5 minutes. Discard the zest.
- Spread the rouille on toasts and serve with the stew.