Delicious, flavorful and fork-tender, these chops are best served over polenta.
4 large, Boneless pork chops
1/2 cup, all-purpose flour
kosher salt – to taste
fresh ground black pepper – to taste
1 green bell pepper – sliced thin
1 yellow bell pepper – sliced thin
3 cloves, garlic – crushed
1 medium, onion – sliced thin
1 cup, mushrooms (preferably Crimini) – sliced
1 teaspoon, dried oregano
1/4 cup, il Fustino EVOO (preferably Tuscan Blend)
2 cans, tomatoes (preferably Italian)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Pat chops dry with paper towels
- Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.
- Dredge chops in flour
- Heat oil in a heavy, oven-proof skillet (cast iron is best here) over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until golden. Remove and discard garlic.
- Brown chops in the garlic oil well on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Add onions, bell peppers and mushrooms and saute for about 10 minutes
- Add tomatoes with juice and oregano. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes. Correct seasoning with more salt or pepper as necessary.
- Lay chops on top and push down so they are covered with the liquid. Cover with a heavy lid and place in oven
- Braise the pork chops for one hour at least.
- Serve over polenta with a generous helping of sauce.