Meatless – actually vegan – this is a satisfying and tasty way to use eggplant in a beautiful presentation.
1 large, eggplant
3 tablespoons, il Fustino olive oil (preferably Tuscan Blend) – divided
2 cloves, garlic – crushed
1 cup, mushrooms (preferably Crimini) – sliced
1 large, tomato – diced
1 tablespoon, il Fustino Harissa Sauce (or more to taste)
1 small can, chickpeas – drained
1 small bunch, parsley – chopped
baby spinach – to serve
kosher salt – to taste
fresh ground black pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the eggplant in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Leave a thin shell around the outside see picture for a reference guide. Roughly chop the eggplant flesh and set aside.
- Brush the eggplant halves inside and out with olive oil, liberally salt them, and place on a baking tray. Roast in oven for 15 minutes while you make the filling.
- Heat the remaining oil (about 2 tablespoons) in a frying pan over high heat. Add the chopped eggplant and stir constantly until starting to brown (5-6 minutes) add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until wilted (5 mins). Allow any moisture that is released to evaporate and then toss in the diced tomato. Stir to combine until the tomatoes have softened slightly (2 mins). Take off the heat and mix in the harissa, chickpeas and parsley leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into the eggplant halves and bake for a further 15 mins.