Author: Leonardo Curti
Eggplant Parmesan from the Positano region of Italy
Work knife around edge of ramekin to loosen. Invert on plate. Surround with more tomato sauce. Top with spring of basil or parsley.
2 Eggplant – sliced 1/4″ thick
2 cups, plum tomatoes – canned
1 cup, parmesan cheese – grated
2 buffalo mozzarella cheese balls – torn into chunks
1 cup, flour
2 cups, extra virgin olive oil – for frying
1 small, onion – diced
2 cloves, garlic – chopped
1 small bunch, basil, fresh – chopped
1 tablespoon, sugar
1 tablespoon, oregano
salt and pepper – to taste
- Heat frying oil to 300 degrees
- Sprinke eggplant slices with sugar
- Dredge eggplant slices in flour
- Deep fry eggplant slices a few at a time
- Meanwhile, in saute pan, saute onion and garlic until light brown. Add tomatos.
- Add a pinch of sugar, basil, salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil 4 ramekins.
- Add in layers: prepared tomato sauce, eggplant slices, basil, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese.
- Repeat until ramekins are 3/4 full. Tap and press down mixture to remove air.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Best if cooled and reheated again before serving.